[LARTC] logging traffic on port/remote host/localhost

Alex,

 : I want to add some logging so that I can got back and see exactly what
 : traffic I had when latency was bad. I want to see what internal hosts
 : and external host were generating the traffic. What ports they were
 : talking on, what protocols etc.
 :
 : I know how to add logging in iptables but reading the logs is kind of
 : tiresome. I rather have something like iptraf but that can be run
 : after the fact.

You definitely want to visit Stef Coene's site [1] and have a look first
at his GUI tools [2] and possibly also some of his monitoring scripts. [3]

Don't forget about ntop, which (in its "new" incarnation) collects
statistical data you can examine after the fact. [4]

There are others interested in the same sort of (general) question, also
on this mailing list. [5]

And if you are comfortable with your current iptables commands, why not
consider the iptacct tool. [6]

Good luck,

-Martin

 [1] http://www.docum.org/