[LARTC] Double gateway - Two interfaces to same subnet

Oliver,

The reason that arp_filter is not working for you is as follows (let's
tell a little story about an inbound ARP requset):

  - inbound ARP request received on ethernet interface(s)
  - kernel realizes it's for a locally hosted IP
  - it looks up the requestor's IP in its routing table
  - it responds with the link layer address of the interface
    through which it would route IP packets to this requestor

I probably mislead you last week by suggesting that arp_filter was a good
solution for your particular need.  Although it is one of the solutions
for ARP flux, it won't work for your case because of the route lookup
incurred by arp_filter.

Sorry for the lack of clarity on this point in my previous post, Oliver.

As for your ip arp compilation problem....did you patch your kernel, as
well?

  http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/arprules-2.4.18-2.diff

The ip arp userspace utility has to have something in the kernel to talk
to!!  :)

 : ... and am I on the right way to solve my initial problem 'two
 : interfaces on the same subnet?'

Absolutely.

-Martin

--