[LARTC] shaping packets in PREROUTING - is it legal?

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

Hi!

I've got a box which redirects http traffic to another box (proxy). I'd like
to do some traffic shaping on this box as well (including traffic destined
for the proxy). In order to do that I need to intercept packets in the
mangle table in PREROUTING, shape it and then it will be redirected when it
gets to the nat table in PREROUTING (or not, if it is not http).

So now I have

         | eth0 (incoming)
    .---------.
    | QoS box |
    `---------'
         | eth1 (outgoing)

and I have

iptables -t mangle -N qos
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j qos
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -s .... -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to ...

and then a couple of rules in the qos table which sets skb->priority so that
tc can delay the packets (I'm using HTB)

Problem is that if I do this, the box stops routing traffic until I remove
the qos filters _and_ the tc queuing discplines.

Any ideas what is happening here, why it doesn't work and what I should do
different?

--

Regards
 Abraham

Time is fluid ... like a river with currents, eddies, backwash.
		-- Spock, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0

 Abraham vd Merwe [ZR1BBQ] - Frogfoot Networks
 P.O. Box 3472, Matieland, Stellenbosch, 7602
 Cell: +27 82 565 4451 Http: http://www.frogfoot.net/
 Email: abz@frogfoot.net

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--