[LARTC] HTB flooding my kernel logs

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Catalin Bucur wrote:

> These messages appear because of too small rates or ceils for that
> classes (10:056B, 10:0578, ...). The implicit value for r2q is 10 and
> because of this the quantum value is too small. "Consider r2q change"
> it's a good ideea indeed ;-)
> You can take a look at devik's faq page, maybe it can help:
> http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/htbfaq.htm
>
> I don't know if that assertion has the same reason, I haven't noticed
> something like that in my logs.

Hello Catalin and Stef

Thanks for your answers. Indeed after digging more into documentation (the
docum.org one is great) we got more less logs. But our logs werent flooded
with "quantum" related messages but with that kernel assertion thing. If
nobody cant help me here Ill try to contact Mr Martin Devera directly.

I have a 2 tree configuration. Here is an example script:
#!/bin/bash

tc="/sbin/tc"

$tc qdisc del dev eth0 root
$tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 30
$tc class add dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 100Mbit

$tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 40Mbit
$tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate 40Mbit
$tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:30 htb rate 20Mbit

# create the first class tree
$tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:10 handle 10: htb default 20
$tc class add dev eth0 parent 10: classid 10:1 htb rate 40Mbit

$tc class add dev eth0 parent 10:1 classid 10:10 htb rate 256Kbit
$tc class add dev eth0 parent 10:1 classid 10:20 htb rate 1Mbit ceil 40Mbit

# create the second class tree
$tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:20 handle 20: htb default 20
$tc class add dev eth0 parent 20: classid 20:1 htb rate 40Mbit

$tc class add dev eth0 parent 20:1 classid 20:10 htb rate 64Kbit
$tc class add dev eth0 parent 20:1 classid 20:20 htb rate 1Mbit ceil 40Mbit

In fact we dont keep at a time more than 1 tree. So I have qdisc htb 1:
and qdisc htb 10: or 20: at a time. When I want to reinitilize my htb
trees I create the other tree from the new data (the trees are created db
based) but if the current tree is 10: I create the new one 20: . Then
after the new tree creation completes I do a tc filter change to classify
packets onto the new tree and then a tc qdisc del the old tree (for
example 10:). I observed that if between tc filter change (making new
packets classify into the new tree) and tc qdisc del (deleting the old
tree) I put a delay smaller than a certain ammount (here is 2 seconds)
then I get those kernel assertion messages. And I dont get them only for a
finite ammount of time, but I get them continously flooding my logs. If I
reinitilize the htb tree again but having a bigger delay then I dont get
any of that messages.

Help ? :)

Mihai RUSU

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of any company,
unless otherwise specifically stated.