Re: HTB and theory

Hi Stef!

> I did some small tests :

[snip]

> Conclusion : if you want to know how traffic will be shaped, you have to
> follow some basic rules.
> I will update docum.org tonight.

You're right. I did some tests this weekend as well and realised that you
have to stick with the basics. The problem was that it was not so clear to
me how HTB behaves when the child's rates/ceil exceed the parent's.

Some other questions I'd like to ask you while I'm at it:

1) if you have:

                   1:1
                  /   \
                /       \
              1:2       1:3
              / \       / \
             /   \     /   \
           1:4   1:5 1:6   1:7

If

1:2 = prio 1
1:3 = prio 2

1:4 = prio 10
1:5 = prio 11

1:6 = prio 5
1:7 = prio 6

Is 1:4, 1:5 evaluated first or 1:6, 1:7? Iow, does HTB start at the root
node, prioritize its children and, subprioritize their children, etc. or
is only the leaf nodes' priorities important (i.e. 1:6, 1:7, 1:4, 1:5)

2) if a class is evaluated and there is some bandwidth available to borrow,
is the first non-congested child given all bandwidth that is available and
then the next is given the rest and so on or is each child given a quantum
of bandwidth, then if there is some bandwidth left, a second round and so on?

--

Regards
 Abraham

History repeats itself.  That's one thing wrong with history.

 Abraham vd Merwe [ZR1BBQ] - Frogfoot Networks
 P.O. Box 3472, Matieland, Stellenbosch, 7602
 Cell: +27 82 565 4451 Http: http://www.frogfoot.net/
 Email: abz@frogfoot.net