Re: HTB and theory

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 14:28, Abraham van der Merwe wrote:
> Hi Stef!
>
> > > How does this influence the shaping results and the shaping of other
> > > classes? I've actually asked a similar question before: If you have
> > >
> > >            1:1
> > >            / \
> > >          /     \
> > >        1:2     1:3
> > >        /|\       \------
> > >      /	|  \       \     \
> > >    1:4 1:5 1:6     1:7   1:8
> > >
> > > if 1:7 and 1:8 respects the rate/ceil of 1:3 and 1:3 respects the
> > > rate/ceil of 1:1, but 1:4 does not respect the rate/ceil of 1:2 and 1:2
> > > respects the rate/ceil of 1:1, does the shaping of 1:3 work as normal
> > > and only those classes under 1:2 are adversely affected or not? from
> > > your previous answer, it seems that the classes under 1:3 would not be
> > > affected, but I would love to know why. what happens with 1:4 requests
> > > some bandwidth which 1:2 does not have...
> >
> > It's easier if you add some numbers of ceil/rate to understand the
> > question.
> >
> > I'm going to create an extra page on www.docum.org with your questions
> > and my answer to explain how rate and ceil of classes and parent classes
> > are used. Ok?
>
> That would be great, thanks
I wrote some more information about ceil and rate.  You can find it on the faq
page on www.docum.org under "Basic rules for traffic shaping with HTB".  If
you have more questions, let me know and I will try to answer them.
Remember, htb will work if you don't follow this rule.  But it will be less
obviuos to figure out how the bandwidth will be distributed.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"