wiered network problem

Hi!
during the last few days I started experiencing wierd network problems: there are web sites that seem not to be responding to my syn packets to port 80 (so the connection times out). What's wierd is that the very same sites are establishing connection with a vmware virtual machine, masqueraded on the internet by the machine not receiving syn/ack back.

I thought of firewall problems, but since this does not apply to forwarded traffic and for the great majority of web sites even for internally genereted traffic, that strikes me as particularly stange.

www.kerneltrap.org is one of affected sites.

I have a vpn masqueraded by e remote router to the internet, and even if I route the traffic through it the virtual machine can connect but the real one cannot. the virtual machine is running the same os, linux :)
this is something I cannot understand! No major configuration changes I can think could be the cause took place in the near past, except the fact that I upgraded to 2.4.20 the real box whereas the virtual one is 2.4.18.

Any idea of where should I start looking from?

thank you very much.
andrea