Re: VLANs with shaper/QoS

On Friday 29 November 2002 09:40, Thomas Jalsovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	thank you for your help. I'm looking for IMQ. It looks pretty cool
> :)
> 	Is the IMQ code in the kernel (I use kernel 2.4.20)? I found only:
> Ingress Qdisc. Is it the Intermediate queueing device? I have iptables
> v1.2.6a (from RedHat 8.0).
You need to patch the kernel and iptables if you want to use imq.

> 	How can I combine IMQ and priority queueing? I MUST set up
> prioritization for RTP, so it is very important to prefer RTP packet. If
> I'm right IMQ can't do PRIO queueing.
Imq can use any qdisc like a normal device.  For RTP, you need a combination
of a low delay and stable bandwidth.  You can do this with htb or cbq.  And
you don't have to use imq.  I think it can be done on 1 interface.

> 	Thank,
> 		Thomas
>
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, S Mohan wrote:
> > Traffic shaping can be done on physical or virtual devices. IMQ is one
> > such device which has both incoming and outgoing queues thus enabling a
> > single flowid specification for source or destination IP. Thus one
> > flowid/class per person/IP and u32 match for source or destination being
> > that persons IP will give you what you want. Good doc available at
> > www.docum.org thanks to Stef Coene.
Mhh.  Imq has 1 queue, not incoming and outgoing queues.  But you can redirect
packets to it from INPUT and OUTPUT.  So from in and outgoin traffic.  So you
can use incoing and outgoin control on the same device.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"