Re: various questions about tc & htb

Hi Stef!

> > Hmm, lets say I want to do this:
> >
> > 1. shape/prioritize some subnets according to some rules
> > 2. shape/prioritize some protocols according to some rules
> >
> > (1) should be evaluated and then the data stream should be passed on to (2)
> > and be evaluated again according to that set of criteria. is this possible?
> Yes, buy creating a smart htb setup.  Not all of this is possible, classes
> with different parents can't share the same bandwidth :
>
>    +-- class 1 (rate 64kbit ceil 128kbit)
>    |     +-- class 1.1 (rate 32kbit ceil 256kbit)
>    |     +-- class 1.2 (rate 48kbit ceil 256kbit)
>    +-- class 2 (rate 64kbit ceil 128kbit)
>          +-- class 2.1 (rate 32kbit ceil 128kbit)
>          +-- class 2.2 (rate 32kbit ceil 128kbit)
>
> You can not say that class 1.2 and 2.2 are sharing the same bandwidth or they
> may use 64kbit together.
> There is a work around.  You can create multiple imq devices and redirect the
> traffic to it.  So you can shape on the imq device and the real device.  But
> it will also introduce extra delays because the packets have to travel though
> an extra queue.

I thought about the imq, but I'm not sure how I can redirect traffic from
one device to another, other than creating a bunch of different networks and
then routing traffic from one to the other. Is there a better/faster way to
do this?

Also, isn't there a limit on the number of imq devices which you can use?

--

Regards
 Abraham

There is always one thing to remember: writers are always selling somebody out.
		-- Joan Didion, "Slouching Towards Bethlehem"

 Abraham vd Merwe [ZR1BBQ] - Frogfoot Networks
 P.O. Box 3472, Matieland, Stellenbosch, 7602
 Cell: +27 82 565 4451 Http: http://www.frogfoot.net
 Email: abz@frogfoot.net