Re: How much does it matter where the throttling is

On Monday 25 November 2002 07:25, Brian Capouch wrote:

I agree with Stef, where is the bottleneck? Not only
that but what are you trying to shape? Without knowing
the other constraints and variables, by debating
somebody who holds different variables as constraints
you are sure to always get difference of opinion.

Art Reisman
www.apconnections.net

> I got into a "spirited discussion" tonight about
just what the
upstream
> effects of traffic shaping look like.
>
> In the case in point, a private WAN with quite a few
routers connects
t=
> a number of Internet POPs.  In some cases, the
"leaves" are three or
> four hops from the backbone source.
>
> The central focus of the discussion was the relative
harm/benefit
from
> putting the traffic shaper at the point where the
bandwidth hits the
> Internet, at one extreme, versus at the "last-hop"
routers on the
other=
=2E

> I won't go into the details as I suspect there is
probably a cut and
> dried answer.
>
> And rather than proffering my own ideas, I would
rather not embarrass
> myself and just ask the experts.
It all depends on the network configuration.  You have
to shape on
the=20
bottleneck on the network.  If you don't do that, your
shaping can be
und=
one=20
by the bottleneck. =20