Re: help needed using filters

> Ok, so how do you do what I want to do in the example above using the TBF
> queuing discipline? All the examples I've seen so far uses CBQ, but that is
> not what I want since I don't want to specify the size of my
> interface/bandwidth (which is not needed to shape networks).
Cbq needs to know the NIC bandwidth for the internal calculations.  If you
have 10Mbit nic, you have to specify 10mbit.  This is just for the
calculations.  Htb does not need this.

> I obviously need a classful queuing displine so that I can make lots of
> sibling classes with filters attached to each one (with each filter's
> flowid pointing to a tbf qdisc in that class), but the question then is
> which queuing discipline should I use for this "container queueing
> discipline"?
You need to use htb or cbq for it.  And you don't need the tbf to throttle the
bandwidth.  You can throttle the bandwidth of a class with htb or cbq itself.
The classes are not reponsible for sending the packets, it's the qdisc
attached to them that do this job.  So all packets in the class, will get
sended by the qdisc, so you don't need a filter to do this.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"