Re: does metric in route works?

Hi,

No, you can't use metric this way.
If you plan to implement alternatives route with dead gateway detection,
you'll need to patch your kernel using julian's patches available at:
http://www.linux-vs.org/~julian/

>From julian's doc:
"alternative  routes are  those routes that  are created  in same route
table,  have equal route  destination, prefix length,  metric and scope.
This  is  an  essential  requirement for  the  reverse  path (rp_filter)
protection  because it avoids reaching less specific routes when looking
up by specific output device."

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Vincent.