Re: htb limiting trouble: no overlimit or dropped packets

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, James B. Moore wrote:

> Not to familiar with HTB but in general it seems you have your qdisc's
> attached to your _internal_ interface, which should let you shape
> the traffic into your LAN; not outbound. if that's what you intend
> then my mistake, I'll go away now...

No, you're definitely allowed to stay! ;-)

> You need to attache the qdisc's to the uplink interface (eth0) and sinca all
> the packets are Masq'd at that point, I think you need to use firewall marks
> and the fw filter to classify the traffic from your internal hosts first.

Right! I obviously mixed up directions! How silly... <:-0

After attaching to eth0 everthing works now! Great!

Marking packets with iptables -t mangle works too! Masqueraded packets
have to be marked in the PREROUTING chain, locally generated packets in
the OUTPUT chain of the mangle table.

Traffic is limited according to the specified rates.

However, there is something I still don't fully understand:
When do packets get dropped or are overlimit?

Thanks for the replies! A really great list!

Regards, Walter