Re: why dont packets go where i want?

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Kertész Viktor wrote:

> My simple network sheme:
>                      eth0                    eth1
> internet--------gw(traffic shaping)-------client
> I'd like to make this script work on a gateway with more than 100
> clients.(ISP's gw)

Same here.

> This setup set the 300kbit limit (1:1). I think the problem is with my
> filtering rules.
> Classes below 1:100 didn't get any packet.

I'd like to know if packets are dropped with if the 300kbit limit is
eceeded. If bandwidth isn't limited, there is no need for filters anyway.
Could you mail me the output of 'tc -s class ls dev eth1' ? Thanks.

> Packets are going out en eth1, aren't they? Why dport? Packets are coming
> from port 21(ftp port) with passive mode. Tell me if i am wrong.

For passive mode uploads, packets are coming from a private port (>1024)
and going to port 21.

You cannot shape traffic for downloads with HTB, you'll need ingress
instead. I'm not 100% (but quite!) sure there (just into traffic shaping a
few days), so would somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Walter