iptables, nat and traffic shaping woes

As I try to solve my problems with iptables, nat and traffic shaping (with
ip accounting thrown intot he mix) a friend of mine just sent this claim.
Is it true?  Will I have to step back to ipchains, or is there a way to
force packets through the traffic shaping filters using iptables?

--
Aaron Clausen