Re: [Almost OT] ipsysctl-tutorial pre-beta version

Hi Don,

Short reply. It seems that the request for feedback got people
overwhelmed... or perhaps it's just me who's overwhelmed:). Anyways, I
will continue writing on the document.

As for the question about helping out.... for typos etc, it would be
extremely appreciated if you download the Docbook SGML source and tar
-xzvf the package. After that, make a copy of the source dir into
ipsysctl-tutorial.old. Do all the changes in the original
ipsysctl-tutorial directory, and when you feel you are done, go back to
the base directory and do something like this:

diff -ur --exclude=CVS ipsysctl-tutorial.old ipsysctl-tutorial > file.diff

This should create a blah.diff file containing all the differences in
unified diff format. Send that one over to me, and I should have
everything that I need.

When it comes to larger changes (e.g., a missing admonition, large
sections of text, or things that you don't want to do yourself), you may
either do as above and I will see what you think is wrong and can take a
look at it myself... Or you could just send a brief description of the
problem and proposed changes, and I will look at it:)

I hope this explains how you may help. I will add something about this to
the tutorial or somewhere there as well. Thanks for notifying about this!

//Oskar

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Don Gould wrote:

> > Is this document worth the effort?
>
> YES  (caps intended!)
>
> > Is this anything along the lines what you have wished for?
>
> Getting closer!
>
> > Is there anything missing (yes, tons that I know of=))?
>
> Yes, I couldn't find instructions on how to help you with the document. :)
>
> > Find any bugs or errors on my part?
>
> I have started reading it and already found some very minor errors
> (typo's) but didn't know how best to take part.
>
> Please let me know how I can be of assistance.
>
> > I will be totally honest, this document probably took me several
> > hundreds  of hours getting this far, since I had to pretty much read up
> > on every  single variable in the source code. Considering that I am a
> > fairly bad  coder, this took some considerable part of the time:). I am
> > pretty damn  certain that this has led to hundreds of errors, and people
> > will probably  want to kill me for some of them.
>
> If I'm understanding what I've already read in the first 10 pages
> correctly then it has already been of more value to me than you can hope
> to imagine in this life time! :)
>
> Cheers DiG

----
Oskar Andreasson