dsl latency...

Hi all,

  I've gotten the WonderShaper (slightly modified) running on the
router. We have a 512/128 connection, and I set DOWNLINK=300, UPLINK=100
(the link is currently under-utilised, and huge performance is not
required at this stage). All appears well (at least, it's stable), but I
have two questions.

  Firstly, given that the link is *very* under-utilised, does the
following output look reasonable? It looks as if only qdisc has actually
seen traffic :

==========
jenner:/etc/firewall/wondershaper-1.1a# ./wshaper status
qdisc ingress ffff: ----------------
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)

qdisc sfq 30: quantum 1514b perturb 10sec
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)

qdisc sfq 20: quantum 1514b perturb 10sec
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)

qdisc sfq 10: quantum 1514b perturb 10sec
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)

qdisc cbq 1: rate 10Mbit (bounded,isolated) prio no-transmit
 Sent 2896610 bytes 29310 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
  borrowed 0 overactions 0 avgidle 624 undertime 0

class cbq 1: root rate 10Mbit (bounded,isolated) prio no-transmit
 Sent 2896610 bytes 29310 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
  borrowed 0 overactions 0 avgidle 624 undertime 0
class cbq 1:10 parent 1:1 leaf 10: rate 100Kbit prio 1
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
  borrowed 0 overactions 0 avgidle 624 undertime 0
class cbq 1:1 parent 1: rate 100Kbit (bounded,isolated) prio 5
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
  borrowed 0 overactions 0 avgidle 624 undertime 0
class cbq 1:20 parent 1:1 leaf 20: rate 90Kbit prio 2
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
  borrowed 0 overactions 0 avgidle 624 undertime 0
class cbq 1:30 parent 1:1 leaf 30: rate 80Kbit prio 2
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
  borrowed 0 overactions 0 avgidle 624 undertime 0
jenner:/etc/firewall/wondershaper-1.1a#
==========

  Also, I'm noticing a fair wait before, for instance, downloading a web
site (although the phenomenom is also quite apparent over at least most
protocols, though). Say, perhaps, 1 or 2 seconds before *any* page
'instantaneously' appears ;-)

  We run our own DNS, as well as a DNS cache (the djbdns package), so
lookups should not be causing a problem (in fact, they're not - this
only happens to traffic leaving the DSL interface).

  I realise that DSL latency isn't as good as some other technologies,
but is this something I should be able to minimise the effect of?

  Admittedly, it sounds to me as if the traffic is still queuing at the
modem - have I simply done something stupid? I'm applying the qdiscs to
eth3 rather than ppp0 (as applying them to ppp0 would oops the kernel
after less than a minute or two reliably...).

  I'm new to lartc, but learning (through necessity). I can't help but
feel that my questions here are actually related - the lack of counter
data on the qdiscs, the classic symtoms(?) of DSL latency... Is it even
working for me?

--
Cheers,
 Mattt.                      icq   : 117539757

	 What's got four legs and an arm?  A happy Pit Bull...