rule based routing

hi all,
we are having 2 gateways & hence are using rule based routing on ip source.
we want to do now rule based routing on users... by user i mean user of
linux box itself, for eg squid ftp etc....
i tried to do the same using owner patch with iptables, but was unable
to achieve the desired result... here is what i did
[root@Lr1 src]# iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -m owner --uid-owner 500 -d
204.0.0.0/7 -j MARK --set-mark 1
[root@Lr1 root]# ip rule ls
100:    from all to $netA lookup GATEA
100:    from all to $netB lookup GATEA
100:    from all to $netC lookup GATEA
100:    from all fwmark        1 lookup GATEA
125:    from $netGAteA lookup GATEB
125:    from all to $netD lookup GATEB
32766:  from all lookup main
32767:  from all lookup default
[root@Lr1 root]#
Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 52917 packets, 3013K bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source      destination
  2810  153K MARK       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0      netB
                                     	OWNER UID match 500 MARK set 0x1

there is no default route in table main  & the default route of table
default is load balanced.... but path to netB is still using default
route via GATEB ie not using GATEA... why ??
whats the mistake i made here ??

awaiting for your suggestion & help...
thanking in advance..
A.H