OT: Latency issues with Satellite connections

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for this OT post, but I wonder if there is someone out there
who can answer this question for me.

We are currently investigating the option of using VSAT Satellite
connections for some of our sites in remote areas of Africa.  VSAT
has been critisized with regards to latency, and according to the
supplier, its about 560ms per satellite hop.

My question is the following:

Would this be 560ms both ways, for each packet sent/received?
Would it be 560ms for a packet to be received, then 560ms AGAIN
for the corresponding ACK to be sent?  If this is the case,
even a fast 2Mb line would seem really slow.

Or am a reasoning at the wrong end?

Any ideas/input would be appreciated.

- Jaco