Some QoS and PPPoE q's...

Greetings List'ers :-)

  Have been playing around with QoS, and have a problem, and some
questions... Oh yeah, Debian Woody, 2.4.19, 512/128(pppoe).

  Problem : kernel oops's (sadly, unlogged - though I have a display on
the router, so could transpose the oops if need be...). Using either
version of WonderShaper (CBQ), I get a kernel oops - it seems to take a
little longer with the older version, but mebbe that's co-inkydink... I
manually entered the script from the lartc howto, and that seemed to be
okay (tested for about five mins so far, then tried WS1.0, which oops'ed
in less than 3...). I haven't gotten as far as any link testing yet, but
things 'feel' different when the shapers are up... I'm using the Debian
PPPoE package at present, but have built support into the new
(QoS-enabled) kernel, and will no doubt switch to that (does anyone have
any comments about the value of such a move?).

  Question : I have a Billion aDSL modem/router/etc. It has a web
interface and all manner of other features. This stuff (particualrly the
interface) are normally sucked through the ethernet (or usb, but we
don't touch that...) connection to the host. However, I put the modem
into bridged mode so I could use PPPoE/shaping/netfilter, etc on the
Linux router, which entails *not* assigning an address to the NIC. Of
course, this stops me from being able to access the modem's web
interface. I guess it's hardly that important, given the setup, but it
would still be nice to be able to at least get to it in case it's ever
necessary (for a quick test-bench reconfig and back, perhaps...).
Everything still seems to work when the interface *does* have an IP,
though - is it okay to have an address on this NIC? Could that be what's
choking tc (probably not, as it still oops'es the kernel with no address
on it...). The router in question has three legs - one going to the
'secure' local network, one going to the DSL 'modem', and one (two
transparently bridged NICS) going to the DMZ, in case any of that
matters.

--
Cheers,
 Mattt                            icq   : 117539757

     What's got four legs and an arm?  A happy Pit Bull...