Re: Multicasting routing in SUSE

On Monday, 16 September 2002, at 10:00:15 -0700,
Anirban Chakraborti wrote:

> I have recently built a  router using suse linux.I need to turn on IGMP and PIM to allow it do multicasting.How to do that? Secondly I also want to control the rate of the datatransfer from the router's ethernet interface to the ppp interface.

To enable multicast support and multicast routing, you _maybe_ will need
to recompile your kernel, but I would say that any recent SuSE
distribution probably have the already compiled on. Just check boot
messages (execute dmesg o see /var/log/*). If you need to recompile the
kernel, go to and select:
Networking options  ---> [*] TCP/IP networking
  ---> [*]   IP: multicasting
                    ---> [*]   IP: multicast routing
  [*]     IP: PIM-SM version 1 support (NEW)
  [*]     IP: PIM-SM version 2 support (NEW)

And the recompile as usual.

To limit traffic, even if it is multicast, check the HOWTO, list
archives and scripts at lartc.org.

Hope this helps.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)