Re: Routing/NAT question

Tom,

I presume the iptables firewall will SNAT any connection from any of these
internal networks to the world.  Correct?

In answer to your question, I assume that your 192.168.101.0/24 network
and your 10.140.x.x networks are connected to the firewall on the same
ethernet medium.  If this is so, then you and there is no missing detail,
your first impression was correct:

You simply need to

# ip addr add 10.140.227.245/$CIDR_MASK dev eth1 label eth1:0

(or use the traditional redhat ifcfg-eth1:0 technique)

and tell the internal machines that the default gateway is 10.140.227.245.

What you are doing here is using the same ethernet for two separate IP
networks.

If I were in your position I would absolutely add another interface for
security and network segregation purposes, but, strictly speaking, you do
not need to do so.

-Martin

 : Hi all,
 : I have a strange setup I am trying to get working. Initally I thought
 : I could set it up by just setting up the correct routes. However after
 : thinking about it I have convinced myself (maybe incorrectly) that I
 : most likely need some sort of advanced NAT/routing setup.
 :
 : Below is a description of the networks involved:
 :
 : Local net (192.168.101.0/24)
 : 		|
 : 		|
 : Linux machine eth1 (192.168.101.5)---- eth1:0 (10.140.227.245)
 : 		|
 : 	Iptables NAT/firewall
 : 		|
 : Linux machine wan0 (This is a sangoma wanpipe with a routable ip address)
 : 		|
 : 		ISP
 :
 : The 10.140.227.224/27 network is a private network that knows nothing
 : about the 192.168.101.0/24 network and is not controlled by us.
 : Previously they were run as 2 seperate networks. What we are trying to
 : do is to be able to install some custom software on the local net
 : machines (the 192.168.101.0 net) and have 5 specific subnets send the
 : traffic down the 10.140... net and the rest of the non 192.168....
 : traffic out the wan0 interface. Currently the 192.168... net and the
 : 10.140..... net are on the same wire. I could split them and put
 : another interface in the linux box if necessary.
 :
 : Is this possible? If so can someone point me in the right direction on how?
 : Does this even make sense? If not please let me know and I will try to
 : explain further. FWIW the linux box is a Red Hat 7.3 box with all of the latest
 : updates.
 :
 : Regards,
 :