Re: bnig number of interfaces and upstream limit

> Downstream is easy - I just add htb rule on user pppX interface
> and that's all. 100 rules for 100 clients.
>
> Upstream seems be big problem because AFAIK htb (cbq, too) must
> be attached to outgoing interface which means that in my
> case for each client there is 99 potential outgoing interfaces.
>
> This means that I need to setup 10k rules for only 100 clients
> (100 rules for each pppX interface) !
>
> I'm not sure but 10k rules (u32 filter) is rather big number
> for typical PC (or maybe I'm wrong and 10k rules is small
> thing to process for ie. single duron 800MHz, 256MB RAM?).
>
> Any ideas how to do such limiting in better way?
You can use the imq device to catch all incoming traffic.  You can create 10
subclasses and put each client data in 1 subclass.  Or you can use the
ingress qdisc and use the policers in the filters to throttle incoming
traffic per interface.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org