bnig number of interfaces and upstream limit

Hi,

The problem is: I have PPPoE (ppp over eth) server and 100 clients.
For each client new pppX interface is created.

Now I want to limit max speed on each interface to different
values. For example
ppp0 - downstream 256kbit, upstream 128kbit
ppp1 - downstream 512kbit, upstream 512kbit

Downstream is easy - I just add htb rule on user pppX interface
and that's all. 100 rules for 100 clients.

Upstream seems be big problem because AFAIK htb (cbq, too) must
be attached to outgoing interface which means that in my
case for each client there is 99 potential outgoing interfaces.

This means that I need to setup 10k rules for only 100 clients
(100 rules for each pppX interface) !

I'm not sure but 10k rules (u32 filter) is rather big number
for typical PC (or maybe I'm wrong and 10k rules is small
thing to process for ie. single duron 800MHz, 256MB RAM?).

Any ideas how to do such limiting in better way?
--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz   IPv6 ready PLD Linux at http://www.pld.org.pl
misiek(at)pld.org.pl   AM2-6BONE, 1024/3DB19BBD, arekm(at)ircnet, PWr