Re: Ip accounting, masq'ing and bandwidth sharing

> What I'd like is either an explanation of how queueing on eth0 works for
> what I'm doing, or a set of rules/explanations of how to set up an
> appropriate set of queues on the ppp interface that handle the masq'ing
> settings..
You can't control how much data you receive.  But you can try to do it.  If
you give one connection 1kbyte/s, tcp will control his behaviour untill the
1kilobyte/s is reached.  But you can't prevent that they send more.
All data that you receive on ppp0 is also transmitted on eth0.  So
controlling the outgoing bandwidth on eth0 is the same as controlling the
incoming traffic on ppp0 (if you don't run any special services on the box).
You can't control incoming traffic (there some work arounds), so you have to
use eth0 to control the incoming traffic on ppp0

If you make sure you never receive that so many data that the modem can't
handle it, you will never have big queueus in the modem.  So limiting the
total incoming traffic on ppp0 to 99% of the link, is a good idea.  Big
queues means a long time for a packet to travel thru the queue, so this
create big latency.

By creating a queue for each ip in the LAN, you can make sure that each IP
has the same chance to send/receive something.  So launching 10 parallel
downloads is useless.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org