Ip accounting, masq'ing and bandwidth sharing

I'll cut to the chase of what I'm trying to do..

I've set up my system with a 56k dial-up connection on the gateway, and 3
machines on the LAN. I'm using a set of iptables to handle the firewall
and Masq'ing, and ipac-ng to do the accounting on a per ip basis for each
machine on the LAN's usage.

All that's pretty trivial.. What I want to do next is be able to guarentee
bandwidth to each machine on the LAN, so that 1 person trying to pull
large amounts of data doesn't totally lock the others off being able to do
whatever they want to use it for..

>From what I've read this can be done by applying a set of queues on the
eth0 side of the gateway machine, but that doesn't seem to make sense (how
do the queues there prevent the modem from being choked by the incoming
data?

What I'd like is either an explanation of how queueing on eth0 works for
what I'm doing, or a set of rules/explanations of how to set up an
appropriate set of queues on the ppp interface that handle the masq'ing
settings..

Hope that makes sense..

Thanks. :)

--
Freedom is just chaos with better lighting.