Re: Many:Many NAT with DHCP external addresses

The thing is, I'm trying to work around an address assignment decision
made by my ISP. I'm running a local server on my side of the DSL line,
with an address statically assigned to be .9.220. Every other machine on
my side of the DSL is acquiring dynamic IP addresses in the .57.255 subnet
with a default gateway of .57.1, on the other side of the DSL link.  This
causes the unfortunate side effect of forcing all traffic between the
dynamically assigned machines and the statically assigned machine to
travel across the DSL, even though both machines are on the same ethernet.
In addition, if the DSL link goes down, as it tends to on occasion, the
dynamic machines cannot acquire addresses, and therefore cannot
communicate with the local server.

My idea is to use a NAT machine to manage the routing myself. I would like
to ensure that no traffic between local machines and the local server will
go over the DSL, without having to add special routes to each dynamic
client machine. I would also like to ensure that dynamic local machines
can contact the static local server, even when the DSL is down and they
cannot get DHCP addresses from the ISP's server. I would also like to keep
the statically assigned server accessible from the public Internet.

DHCP relay does not seem to solve the routing issue, and neither does the
bridging. And if I am resigned to using NAT, I'd like to make it Many:Many
NAT to avoid the occasional problems seen when using things like active
FTP and online games behind Many:1 NAT. Thus the rationale behind my
question.

Have I missed something obvious that might satisfy the constraints above?

Thanks,
Gil <get@andrew.cmu.edu>