Re: squid marking packets

>---
>Ok, I wasn't entirely sure what you meant - let me summarize and correct
>any mistakes I have made?
>
>1)	You use Squid for web traffic. (Is that all web traffic via
>transparent proxy, or do some clients not use the Squid cache for web?)
>2)	You have other traffic as well such as p2p, ftp, cs etc.
>3) 	You wish to rate-limit any web traffic traffic that isn't
>already in squid's cache.
>4)	You wish to rate-limit all other traffic that's not web also.
>
>If that is the case, then I would make your traffic classifiers handle
>all traffic, except for web traffic, and then use squid's delay pools to
>accommodate and differentiate between cached and non-cached content.
>

>Chris

Hi, Chris!
You are perfectly right! I use transperant proxy f?r the web traffic.
The above lines describe it really well.
The problem with your suggestion is that there's no connection between
squid and the for example HTB shaper for the other traffic.

I want Client X to have 64kbit guranteed bandwidth, and to be able to
borrow up to 128kbit if available. My idea was to
make the HTB shaper not account packets belonging to connections of
squid serving cached pages. I'm not sure, but it seems to me
that the easiest way to accomplish this is to make squid mark these
packets and let them through at full speed (HTB 1:0 class). All
other traffic is classifies and shaped.

Thats how i understand your suggestion: make a class for Client X rate
64kbit ceil 128kbit. Then I
don't shape packets coming from the proxy machine. But to what values
should I limit the bandwidth at squid delay pools?
How would squid know that the user is already using his bandwidth
playing CS, or doing
someting else squid isn't aware of. And vice versa HTB won't know how
much bandwidth the user is consuming
through squid browsing the web. These problems would be solved if
bandwidth is controlled using only one mechanism HTB or delay pools.
Since delay pools are limited to only http and possibli ftp, i think
using HTB for both is a better choice. Thus I need a way to tell which
packets
belong to connections served from the cache.

Rado