RE: squid marking packets

-----Original Message-----
From: Radoslav Kolev [mailto:radoslav_kolev@smartcom.bg]
Sent: Monday, 22 July 2002 9:17 PM
To: Chris Harrison
Subject: Re:  squid marking packets

Chris Harrison wrote:

>No, but how would it help anyway?
>
>The packets are on different OSI levels to begin with.
>You could probably filter squid accessing the internet checking whether
>it's trying for a If-Modified-Since request or a Get Request...
>
>What exactly are you trying to do anyway?

>Mr Chris Harrison
>
>ICQ#: 354303
>EMAIL: theguru@ii.net

Hi!
I want squid to put different marks on IP packets belonging to a
connection between a client (web browser) and squid, depending on
if the file requested is served from the cache or fetched from the web
server. By doing this I can send objects from the cache at full
speed to the clients (because these requests don't consume bandwidth to
my ISP). If the object is not found in the cache i wan't to limit
the bandwidth consumed for fetching the object. I think that if I use
squid delay pools they will not affect traffic serverd from the cache,
and this is what I want. The problem is that not all the traffic is
passing through squid. I hope this makes it a bit more clear.
RAdo

----

After quite a bit of a search I found this which maybe of interest to
you.

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200005/0470.html

I think it basically states that delay pools only affect incoming data,
and therefore do not affect the rate of data retrieved that's already
cached.

HTH.

Chris