RE: [LARTC] dial on demand

I will take a shot at this:

I think I get what you want - Is this picture accurate?

internal ethernet    Firewall   PPP to the Internet
----------------------+     +---------------------+--
                 eth0 |     | ppp0                |
                     +-------+                ISP Router
                     |       |
                     +-------+

So the problem is, you don't know the IP Address of that
ppp interface, right?

If so, why not use the eth0 IP Address as the default gw
for your internal systems?  When the firewall dials out, it
would set up its own routing and forwarding through the ppp0
interface wouldn't it?

As for the default gw of the Linux firewall system itself,
what about using the IP Address of your end of the ISP's router?
This should be fixed and should be part of the same network as
your ppp0 interface.

If I'm completely missing the point then apologies in advance.

- Greg