[LARTC] Questions about IMQ

 from http://luxik.cdi.cz/~patrick/imq/index.html
 By default you have two imq devices (imq0 and imq1).

That means if you don't specify numdevs below the default is 2, right?

  from http://luxik.cdi.cz/~patrick/imq/index.html
      modprobe imq numdevs=1
      tc qdisc add dev imq0 handle 1: root htb default 1
      tc class add dev imq0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 1mbit
      tc qdisc add dev imq0 parent 1:1 handle 10: htb default 5

We're adding an htb as the qdisc for a child class of htb ?  Why?
Isn't that just wasting time?  Can't all 10: stuff be done with 1:
instead?

So above the total rate for all imq traffic is limited to 1Mbit.  As
far as I see, it all goes out 1:1, and below we shape that.
      tc class add dev imq0 parent 10: handle 10:1 htb rate 256kbit burst 30k prio 1
      tc class add dev imq0 parent 10: handle 10:2 htb rate 256kbit burst 30k prio 2
      tc class add dev imq0 parent 10: handle 10:5 htb rate 1mbit prio 3

      tc qdisc add dev imq0 parent 10:1 handle 21:0 pfifo
      tc qdisc add dev imq0 parent 10:2 handle 22:0 sfq
      tc qdisc add dev imq0 parent 10:3 handle 23:0 sfq

Should this 10:3 be 10:5 ?

      tc filter add dev imq0 protocol ip pref 1 parent 10: handle 1 fw classid 10:1
      tc filter add dev imq0 protocol ip pref 2 parent 10: handle 2 fw classid 10:2

      iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -j IMQ

This is a little confusing.  I gather -j IMQ means to mark the packet
so that AFTER the mangle table is done, the IMQ device will steal the
packet.  Is that right?  If there were more than one imq device, how
would we know which one gets the packet?

      iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p tcp -m tos --tos minimize-delay -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j MARK --set-mark 1
      iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p tcp --sport 80 --dport 1024: -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j MARK --set-mark 2

      ip link set imq0 up

So here's what I imagine happens.  Please confirm or correct.
The packet goes through mangle table and maybe gets marked for later
classification and maybe gets marked for imq.  Then the imq hook
steals away those that were marked for imq.  It enqueues them and
dequeues them according to its classes and the marks.  At this
point the skb dev is imq0 ?  Or still ppp0 ?
When the packet is eventually dequeued (if not dropped) then it
goes where?  I'm hoping it goes to the beginning of pre-routing
so we can apply conntrack/nat/mangle rules to it with -i imq0.

I suspect this is not the case, since I see in the patch code
  nf_reinject(skb, info, NF_ACCEPT)
I'm not even sure netfilter supports what I want.
I see in
 http://netfilter.samba.org/documentation/HOWTO//netfilter-hacking-HOWTO-3.html
  5.NF_REPEAT: call this hook again.
but what's "this hook" ?  Is it the imq hook or pre_routing ?

My goal here is to protect conntrack from attack by rate limiting the
packets not from known connections.  To do that I need to send them to
imq before conntrack sees them.  Unfortunately, conntrack does all the
work that I want to avoid for those packets in prerouting, and
conntrack sees them before mangle.  But maybe I could restrict all
operations that involve conntrack to packets with dev imq (or the imq
mark), which I hope would result in conntrack NOT seeing the packets
with other devices.  I could instead send all those packets from other
devices (or without the mark) to imq, where I would look them up in
the conntrack table (but not add them!) to see whether they belong in
the rate limited class or not.  Then when (if) they're released they
should go through conntrack, nat, mangle, etc.

Perhaps even better than changing the dev to imq0 would be a way for
netfilter rules to match on the imq mark.  Then I wouldn't have to
worry about whether rp_filter would still work.

 from http://luxik.cdi.cz/~patrick/imq/faq.html

 4. When do packets reach the device (qdisc) ?

 The imq device registers NF_IP_PRE_ROUTING (for ingress) and
 NF_IP_POST_ROUTING (egress) netfilter hooks.  These hooks are also
 registered by iptables. Hooks can be registered with different
 priorities which determine the order in which the registered functions
 will be called. Packet delivery to the imq device in NF_IP_PRE_ROUTING
 happens directly after the mangle table has been passed (not in the
 table itself!). In NF_IP_POST_ROUTING packets reach the device after
 ALL tables have been passed. This means you will be able to use
 netfilter marks for classifying incoming and outgoing packets. Packets
 seen in NF_IP_PRE_ROUTING include the ones that will be dropped by
 packet filtering later (since they already occupied bandwidth), in
 NF_IP_POST_ROUTING only packets which already passed packet filtering
 are seen.

 from include/linux/netfilter_ipv4.h
 enum nf_ip_hook_priorities {
        NF_IP_PRI_FIRST = INT_MIN,
        NF_IP_PRI_CONNTRACK = -200,
        NF_IP_PRI_MANGLE = -150,
        NF_IP_PRI_NAT_DST = -100,
        NF_IP_PRI_FILTER = 0,
        NF_IP_PRI_NAT_SRC = 100,
        NF_IP_PRI_LAST = INT_MAX,
 };

So after mangle means first conntrack, then mangle, then IMQ, then ...

It might be worth mentioning this somewhere in doc.

One other thing I worry about.
net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_queue.c contains:
  * Packets arrive here from netfilter for queuing to userspace.
  * All of them must be fed back via nf_reinject() or Alexey will kill Rusty.
  */
 static int netfilter_receive(struct sk_buff *skb,

I notice the patch returning NF_QUEUE.
Will Rusty survive if IMQ ends up dropping packets ?