Re: [LARTC] 2 NICS. More Bandwidth?

We're assuming 100 Mb/sec now, right?  The rules change a little with
GBE NICs wrt who's got the better hardware...

Bonding has actually been available for some time; the beowulf clusters
have taken advantage of it for years.  I believe it went into the kernel
tree around 2.0.16, but it could have been after the release of the
2.2.x set.

A couple of things have to be considered, including the quality of your
NICs.  Some of th elow end ones will never provide good performance
(RealTek comes to mind in our experience) while almost anything with the
older DEC Tulip chipset will perform well, as will most of the Intel
products.

Is your PCI bus speed up to the task of multiple NICs?  An older
computer running a slow bus can bog down at times.

Also, if your server is busy, multiple interfaces and a round-robin DNS
implementation may be a good answer without bonding.  Similarly, access
via a switches, rather than shared, network interface is a performance
enhancer.

gerry