[LARTC] Re: Routing that doesn't route

Julian, I want to thank you for your help on this one.
After pouring over books and every google reference I
could find, I think I finally understand what ICMP_REDIRECT
is all about.  I'm still not clear about RP_FILTER but
getting better.

I gathered some more data on the problem.  (The problem
was two routers connected in parallel to the inside
and outside networks.  The Linux router is everyone's
default gateway and has a route for one subnet to the
other router.  The other router then VPNs it across the
Internet to a remote branch office.)

The deal with ICMP_REDIRECT is, if you have more than one
router and one router gets a packet bound for somewhere, and
that router knows there is a better first hop, that router
will send an ICMP_REDIRECT message back to the original
sender and the original sender is supposed to update its
routing tables.  That is what's supposed to happen.

The Linux router is running Red Hat Linux 7.1, which is
kernel 2.4-2.  I found out that ICMP Echo Reply packets
weren't being handled right and I took a bunch of
tcpdump output showing details.

Based on Julian's advice with ICMP_REDIRECT, I got back to
the customer site a few days ago and took advantage of an
internal DNS server named igor.  If I did telnet igor 53
from across the VPN and then sent some illegal junk to that
DNS server, then I could ping igor across the network.  And
sure enough, ICMP_REDIRECT set up the route in igor.

But if I removed the route in igor and tried to ping igor,
igor would reply, but the original "pinger" never saw it
and gor would never get an updated route from the Linux router.
tcpdump on the Linux router showed me that igor was replying,
but the router never forwarded the reply anywhere.

The Linux router did handle my TCP port 53 stuff, but not ICMP.
So the problem had to be some kind of kernel bug around
ICMP redirects.

I got some more time to work the problem today and finally
reproduced the problem at my place.  Then I setup a system
with Red Hat 7.2, which uses kernel 2.4-7.  Still old, but not
as old!  I set this sytem up as a router in parallel with my
other Linux router and ran the same tests again.  This time,
everything did what it was supposed to do.

So I think the whole thing was a bug with the 2.4-2 kernel.

So for people running the 2.4-2 kernel with routing turned
on and in parallel with another router, one workaround is
to send any kind of TCP packet first to the other side, which
will make ICMP_REDIRECT do its thing.

A better workaround - as Julian pointed out:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/send_redirects
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/send_redirects

An even better fix - upgrade from Red Hat 7.1 to 7.2.

And maybe the best fix is to just bite the bullet
and upgrade to the latest stable kernel.  That's the
next challenge I'm going to work on!

thanks

- Greg