[LARTC] "weight" parameter in htb?

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 03:34:08PM +0200, Martin Devera wrote:

> > E.g. you might have a customer agency which needs say 256 kbps for its
> > headquarters and 64 kbps for its factory. They pay for 512 kbps which
> > means that they buy 512-256-64=192 kbps of "excess" bw available to both
> > sites on demand. Well, it makes sense to me that they would be worried
> > about the "headquarters" class draining the other class in case both
> > classes have demand. They might want to say "We buy lower rate for our
> > factory because Internet access is rarely needed there. But *when* it
> > *is* needed we want to let the factory take at least 1/2 of the "excess"
> > bw we buy even if headquarters demand excess bw too. We already buy 256
>
> well, you are right. However you should take into account that
> even in cbq the weight is not precise argument. It influences
> excess distribution but you will see some discrepancies.

Yes - this and other CBQ problems are the very reasons I'm looking into
alternatives. :-)  CBQ's "weight" parameter semantics is rather opaque
and it is difficult to predict how a given weight value will influence
excess bw distribution. I also suspect that CBQ's weight doesn't give me
complete independence on rate ratios although I'm not sure here (yet).

> As I'm working on new version I'll try to do it - if it will not
> slow things down.
> It is because with assmption that "weight" is proportional to rate
> we can make some algorithms faster ...
> We will see ;)

Then I hope it will be possible to implement it in such a manner that it
wouldn't hurt those who don't use it.

Anyway, thanks a lot. :-)

	pvl