[LARTC] question re: dead gateway detection

Thomas Vander Stichele(thomas@urgent.rug.ac.be)@Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:45:10AM +0100:
> Hi,
>
> I've followed the instructions in the nano document, and apart from my own
> ISP trouble, it seems to work fine.  I have a question about the dgd
> however.
>
> The dgd works on the actual gateway, but in my experience it seems that
> most problems can be expected a few hops down the route, not on the
> gateway.  One of those two gateways is located here anyway, so if that
> goes down then chances are other stuff is wrong as well ;)
>
> So my question is: is there some way that I can detect that the actual
> route to the net is unusable, even though the gateway is up ? If not, when
> either one of the lines is down, users will notice they're not getting a
> connection randomly, depending on what gateway is used for that
> connection.
>
> Thomas

It sounds to me like you need something which is proactively monitoring
your network health/status.  The points in the network your referring
to, are not under your sirect control, so there's not a lot tc/ip can
directly do to solve your problem.

but with some clever scripting, you could attempt to detect a fault in
the network, and take appropriate action.  such as delete the faulty
route for all the clients that were using it, and forec them onto the
other route.   you'll still need to be able to test the dead route from
the box, such that you can activate again, once its working.

i hope i understood the problem correctly, and havent gone off on one.

-vince

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.