[LARTC] DNS [off-topic]

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:16:51PM +0700, JefferySamuel@binus.ac.id wrote:

> is djbdns powerful enough to handle more than 500 domains ? many people

If you read up at the cr.yp.to/djbdns.html page, you'll find that some
people are using it for _thousands_ of domains.  It is very powerful; it
uses disk caching to cache responses however, so frequently changing the
domain file will decrease performance somewhat; although write-through
caching should get you the same benefits if your OS has it.

> told me that djbdns is more secure than Bind, is it true ? I've installed

It is highly secure (no security bugs yet that I'm aware of; there's a
cash reward if you find any though).  It is well-written from what I've read
of its source although variable naming is quite obscure but being written
by a mathematician probably explains that.

> djbdns on my development server but don't have courage to install it on my
> production server, my consideration is the stability, reliability and
> security...

It has never crashed for me.
It has never failed to respond for me.
It is my production DNS server (feel free to hammer away at fibrespeed.net
DNS requests if you like) ;-).
It has great local diagnostic tools and logging for any user-caused errors.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)