[LARTC] Question re: multi-homed access

Hi,

thanks for your quick response ;)

> > Then I started writing the firewall script.
> > I start by applying the iptables rules for statefulness (are these
> > necessary ? exactly what do they do).  I removed the interface
>
> 	They are independent from the routing stuff.

Ok, just out of curiosity, should I reread the docs to find out what they
do help for ? It was not really clear to me on the first couple of reads.

> > * before, when only using the ADSL as gateway, I could ssh to other boxes
> > on the internet without problems.  With the new setup, when I ssh to one
> > of them (and the route goes over the second interface), the connection
> > hangs at the moment ssh starts up the X port forwarding.  I suppose this
>
> 	Some users report for this problem with openssh where
> the TOS changes in established state cause using a different
> route (selected from the multipath scheduler). The new cached
> route differs in the TOS field and so to a new gw/outdev. In
> short, the problem is that the multipath scheduler when used
> for NAT is used for all packets, not only at connection setup.
> The details are explained in the docs.

OK, I'll read them again.  But basically you're saying it's NOT because
the X port forwarding opens up a second connection ? Am I wrong in my
assumption about how ssh X port forwarding works, or is this not an issue
here ?

> > * When trying to access the firewall from the outside, connections only
> > get established when coming in over the ADSL interface.  When coming in
> > over the cable interface, the connection hangs, indicating the route back
> > is failing.  This seems to me like another symptom of the same problem as
> > the other.
>
> 	May be, to summarize, the rule is: "the plain kernel
> _only seems_ to work correctly for setups with NAT and multipath
> routes".

So you're saying it looks like it works right, but it doesn't ? Hm, ok.
So are the times when it doesn't work totally random, or is there some
logic in it ?

> 	You should apply the patches if you expect the router
> correctly to NAT the packets when using multipath route. I hope
> the ssh problem will disappear because there the multipath scheduler
> selects new route only for the first packet in each connection,
> the established connections are considered bound to the masquerade
> address for which usually we don't have multipath route.

Meanwhile, I recompiled my kernel with the patches and at first glance I
get the same behaviour.  I will look into it some more tomorrow when I'm
back at work.  What I wanted to ask re: masquerading is, if I add an
iptables rule to do masquerading without specifying a device, is that ok ?
or should I have one for each device specifically ?
The nano doc says that for fixed IP addresses you need an SNAT rule, while
for PPPoE devices you need MASQUERADE.  Which should I be using for a DHCP
device ?

> > from browsing through the archive that, for this basic functionality, it's
> > not necessary.  I will of course apply these patches later on to have
> > gateway failure detection, but my question is if applying these patches
> > now or not will have any effect on my current setup.
>
> 	I hope there will be effect

On first inspection, no.  Is there some way I can debug incoming packets ?
What else can I give as feedback ?

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Thomas

I'm alive.
I can tell because of the pain.
<-*- thomas@apestaart.org -*->