[LARTC] First post, first problem

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Mihai RUSU wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've searched the archives for this and doesnt seem to be any message with
> this problem. Im trying to optimize a high load CBQ server using u32
> hashes as in
> http://lartc.org/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing-12.html#ss12.4
>
> Although Ive double checked the kernel options, and also other u32 filters
> work very well, when I try this line I get an error:
>
> /sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 handle 2: u32 divisor 256
> RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

Well I found out the "problem" . You cannot have u32 filter witout telling
the protocol too. The correct line should be:
/sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 handle 2: protocol ip u32
divisor 256

There is also another error in the HOWTO (I think):

"Ok, some numbers need explaining. The default hash table is called 800::
and all filtering starts there. Then we select the source address, which
lives as position 12, 13, 14 and 15 in the IP header, and indicate that we
are only interested in the last part. This we send to hash table 1:, which
we created earlier."

This is wrong. The hash table in in fact 2: and not 1: .

Mihai RUSU

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of any company,
unless otherwise specifically stated.