[LARTC] TCP MSS clampage

Hey,

My internet is provided via ADSL using PPPoE. When I take a look at
ifconfig's output, I see that eth0 has an MTU of 1500, and ppp0 has an MTU
of 1492. I don't _think_ that rp-pppoe (my pppoe util) is clamping the MSS.
I am noticing some latency when there's a lot of bandwidth in use (but not
 >90%). What should I clamp, eth0/ppp0? How much? And what with, rp-pppoe,
or tc/iproute2/etc ?  I guess I don't really understand clamping MSS, can
someone explain it in laymans terms? I have read the lartc-FAQ, and the only
time I see clamping-MSS mentioned is section 15.7, which doesn't really
explain why you'd do it.

Apologies if M$ makes this email look squonky in any way.

Thanks,

Tim Carr