[LARTC] HTB: Filtering flat out not working :(g

>From: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>
>To: EGAL Vincent <egal@ipanematech.com>
>CC: Tim Carr <cygnusx__1@hotmail.com>, lartc@mailman.ds9a.nl
>Subject: Re: [LARTC] HTB: Filtering flat out not working :(g
>
>Exactly - queueing disciplines and their attached filters come *way* after
>iptables or ipchains have doen their work.
>
>If you need information from before mangling, you should use fwmark to tag
>packets, and then filter based on that fwmark. How to do this is in the
>HOWTO.

As i mentioned in the email, i've already tried this. No, the HOWTO does not
tell you how to do QoS with MARKing. It tells you how to MARK the packets,
and it tells you how to route the packets, but that's not what I want: I
want QoS, not policy-based routing etc. (I'm talking about this specific
part of the FAQ:
http://www.lartc.org/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing-11.html )

So lets say I get MARKing set up succesfully (I have enough faith in myself,
I think i've got iptables down ok :) ).. with 'tc', how do I get packets
with the MARK of 11 to flowid 1:11, mark of 12 to 1:12, and so on? What's
the tc-cmd syntax?

Perhaps i'm supposed to use this complicated route classifier of tc? Eg.
have all packets assigned a realm thru ip route, then use tc to catch these
packets? This is more complicated, and I don't wish to mess with my routing
(i'm using "route", not "ip route", are these even compatible?). Ideally i'd
like to be able to simply grab the MARKed packets with tc, let me know if
this is possible.

One additional question from my previous email that didn't get answered,
that i'd like to know about: after adding the SFQ classes to the leafs of
the HTB (see first post with the script in it), am I supposed to be
attaching the filters to the 10: handles of the SFQs, or stay the way it is,
using the HTB children eg. 1:10 ?

Many thanks!

Tim Carr