[LARTC] Proxy Arp with same left/right IP address.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 05:07:35PM +0100, Ard van Breemen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:00:35AM -0500, Adrian Chung wrote:
[...]
> > Is this for real?  So you bind 127.0.0.1 to both eth0 and eth1, not
> > using an ISP assigned IP at all on the bridging box, and you'd still
> > be able to route from the ISP's network through to machines on the ISP
> > assigned network?
> Be careful however, you don't want to send icmp_host_unreachables with
> source ip 127.0.0.1, I don't think they get far.
> Anyway, 127.0.0.1 is as far as I know a special adres, also for the
> kernel. I haven't experimented with that...
> If you want to have any sane outgoing source ip addresses, you also
> have to set the default source ip for the outgoing routes.

True enough...  However, in my case anyways, it's not an issue.  I
already have a box that's using an ISP assigned IP as a gateway, but
using aspects of the above solutions, I can now have all my DMZ
servers funnelled through the one machine.

That means that traffic control/shaping and bandwidth monitoring
should become real easy, as it means one access point into/out of the
network, but still with IP assigned IPs on the DMZ machines.

Sorry if this is not news to anyone else, it's an amazing revelation
to me. :)

--
Adrian Chung (adrian at enfusion-group dot com)
http://www.enfusion-group.com/~adrian