[LARTC] Proxy Arp with same left/right IP address.

Hey everyone!  I came across this link today:

http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/proxyarp/

Which I thought was very interesting.  But I don't quite understand
how, or what effect assigning the same IP address to both the left and
right side interfaces of the pseudo-bridge has.

In the article, the author describes a mechanism for being able to
shape/filter traffic to an entire ISP assigned subnet.

Basically, use proxy arp, assign the same ISP IP to both interfaces on
the router, and use iproute2 to create routes to the router on one
interface, and the rest of the network on the other.

It's almost identical to the Proxy-Arp/Pseudo Bridge part of the LARTC
HOWTO.

Except that I'm confused as to how the kernel deals with the fact that
both interfaces have the same IP address.

I guess logically it doesn't matter to the kernel, because the routes
clearly delineate which interface to send packets to, proxy-arp
connects the two LANs, and both interfaces have different MAC
addresses.

It just seems wrong. :)

--
Adrian Chung (adrian at enfusion-group dot com)
http://www.enfusion-group.com/~adrian