[LARTC] proxy arp and routing

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:19:13 +0100
Leen Besselink <leen@wirehub.nl> wrote:

> * David Koski (david@kosmosisland.com) wrote:
> > I am not sure what you mean by that but ifconfig shows the correct
> > ip/netmask/broadcast for each ip.  Did I miss something?
> >
> maybe you could show us the routing table(s) ?
> also did you turn on ip forwarding (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward) ?

That would be tough because I had to revert back to get it back working.
Currently, the public block is routed arround the linux box instead of through
it, just to keep it going.  But it looked just as I would expect given the
ifconfig and /etc/sysconfig/* settings.

I have a howto on an alternate method of proxy arp'ing.  It uses identical
assignments on eth0 and eth1 instead of using different netmasks.  But it uses
static routes.  Maybe I'll try that.  But I would still like to know why the
other did not work.  Is it possible that with the method I tried, proxy arp is
not necessary and only interferes?

David