[LARTC] Optimize online gaming at expense of web access

>  Basically, I have a LAN at home that goes through a RH 7.1
> system which serves as a NAT gateway (I use iptables) to the internet
> through an IDSL connection.  Since it's IDSL, it's not all that fast.
> Problems arise when my wife is playing an online game (Ultima Online)

I have the same set up for my adsl connection. I think the problem you
describe is the bane of all us home network users. I haven got a perfect set
up but I recomend looking at this attachment, which is from another post to
this list a while back.

http://www.ds9a.nl/2.4Routing/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing-15.htm
l#ss15.8

This works quite well, but since you know exactly what the problem is (UO
requires a set amount of bandwidth to keep a good ping) I suggest using a
packet sniffer to find out what ports UO uses and make a seperate bandwith
class just for that port. Forget about the TOS bits from what ive seen they
dont work reliably.

I also think that this setup puts HTTP traffic into the fast class which is
good for when your browsing webpages while somone downloads a big file, but
it does mean that if you look at a particualy large page, (big lists
generated by ASP or somthing) it can hog the bandwidth for a couple of
seconds