[LARTC] traffic shaping

On Friday 25 January 2002 09:11, Antonis Lazaridis wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> i have another question.
>
> Is there any way to shape traffic according to file types or directorie=
s?
> Something like:
> access to files in folderA can have 10Mbps,
> access to files in forderB can have  5Mbps.
>
> Possible?
I think it's possible.  There is a ftp-helper for iptables that can mark =
all=20
ftp-data because it's smart enough to recoginise the ftp-data path.  You =
can=20
do the same : write a helper that can read the data-stream and that can=20
recognize for instance the attachements of emails.  Once you can do this,=
 you=20
can mark these packets and shape them.

I don't know if this is possible,  I'm not a kernel/iptabes guru, but the=
re=20
are other people on this list that can say "Stef, you are stupid" or "hey=
, I=20
will write this for you" ;-)

Anyway, it's not possible with the tools we have right now.

Stef

--=20

stef.coene@docum.org
 More QOS info : http://www.docum.org/
 Title : "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"
    =20