[LARTC] SFQ improvement ideas

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 08:21:51PM +0100, devik wrote:
> 1) Backlog depth limit

This would be nice; through proc ... but I believe it is
already being worked on by Alexey.

> 2) Interactive traffic isolation

SFQ is designed specifically to _not_ have manual isolation
of queues; use CBQ with SFQ to do this.

CBQ (all) ---- (filter interactive) --- SFQ #1
           \-- (filter everything else) --- SFQ #2

SFQ uses a hashing system to distinguish flows which is fast;
eliminating that would slow it down.  If you want simplicity
(and not CBQ), use HTB.  A classful round-robin queue would
be nice (which would do what you describe), but it would be
placed the way CBQ is above.

> 3) Hash select
>
> Default SFQ impl. uses src(ip+port)+dst(ip+port) to distinguish
> connections. It might be useful to be able to set src(ip)+dst(ip)
> for example (do disallow users to fool SFQ by creating more connections)
> or src(ip)+dst(ip+port) to make it yet better. I'd suggest tc
> parameters like "hash " followed by set of "dip,sip,sport,dport,proto"
> arguments (e.g. ... sfq hash dip sip dport).

I agree here; it would probably be easier to just turn on or off each of
the hash criteria.

tc qdisc add dev eth0 sfq hash sip hash dip hash dport
or
tc qdisc add dev eth0 sfq hash sip hash dip
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)