[LARTC] Forcing return route

Is there a way to force responses to go out on the interface the
request came in on?

I have a situation where an incoming IPSEC packet (for FreeS/WAN) is
being received on eth0 but being responded to on ipsec0 because of a
route that stays up too long.  I can't fix the route problem easily;
can I force a response to go out on eth0 when the request was received
on eth0 though?

On second thought, it occurs to me that there is no way for the Linux
network code to know which packet the response packet relates to.
Perhaps the tearing down of the route based on the incoming packet
would be most appropriate?

Thank-you for your help.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)