Re: windows 2008 "falling asleep" under KVM

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 02:08:31PM +0200, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
> > This is cirrus, not qxl. This makes my S3 theory to be highly unlikely.
>
> OK, finally I got it hung again:
>
> virsh # qemu-monitor-command vmtop09 --hmp "info status"
> VM status: running

So confirmed, this is not S3, but still possible that Windows disabled
the device to save power. Can you try do the following steps and see if
it helps (they are for windows 7 but 8 should be similar)

Disable device powersave:
- Control Panel -> Network & Internet -> Network Connections
- Right-click on desired interface, and select "Properties"
- Click the "Configure" button on the interface properties
- Under the "Advanced" tab, look for power-saving related options and
  set to "Disabled"
- Under the "Power Management" tab, uncheck "Allow computer to turn off
  this device to save power"
- Save & Reboot

In addition:
- Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power Options
- Select "High performance"
- By the selected power profile, select "Change Plan Settings"
- In the "Edit Plan Settings", select "Change advanced power settings"
- See if there is something relevant to network connection there and if
  yes change it to not sleep
- Save & Reboot

--
			Gleb.