Re: Ring privilege of host linux kernel

On 03/08/2013 06:42 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 10:56:34PM -0500, lim4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
As we have known, in KVM full virtualization, guest VM is running in
non-root mode and KVM is running in root mode. While, in non-root
mode, guest kernel is running in Ring 0 and Apps are running in Ring
3.  However, what about the ring privilege for host linux?

In my knowledge, host linux is not controlled by VMX instructions
and VMCS/VMCB. therefore, host linux should be running in root mode.
Before we install KVM, host linux just run in Ring 0 (at that time,
there is no root mode or non-root mode because VMX is not active).
Hence, after we install KVM module, host linux kernel should be
still in Ring 0 of root mode and Apps in host should run in Ring 3
of root mode. Is KVM running in higher privileged mode like Ring -1
of root mode or also running in Ring 0 of root mode?

KVM and the Linux kernel are running in Ring 0 in root mode.

--
			Gleb.
Hi, Gleb

Best,