Re: kvm running on core1 wants guest os on core2 to execute a pre-defined program

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 02:46:28AM +0000, zhangzhi wrote:
> I have been studying some stuff about KVM and sincerely hope that someone is
> willing to reply to this mail.
> As we know, If physical NIC interrupt is received on physical CPU 0 which is in
> root mode and the hypervisor determines that this is a network packet targeted
> to the emulated NIC for a VM at the same time this VM is running a user program
> in guest mode on physical CPU 1.
> My question is:
> At this time can hypervisor running on CPU 0 *actively* interrupt VM and make it
> run the corresponding interrupt handler to handle the incoming network data
> packet? CPU 1 which is running a user program is not supposed to vm-exit
> considering the performance effect, so I can not use the inter-processor
> interrupt(IPI) to cause the CPU1 to leave guest mode and exit to the hypervisor.

With current generation of CPUs you will have to use IPI to make CPU1
vmexit and inject interrupt on the next vmentry. Future CPU will allow to
inject interrupt into a running guest without vmexit. On Intel this is
called "posted interrupts".

--
			Gleb.